Serves 6-8 Cake is vegan without the frosting
• 1 cup of self raising flour
• 1/2 a tsp bicarbonate soda
• 1/2 a tsp of baking powder
• 1/2 a cup of almond milk
• 1/2 a cup of vegetable oil
• 1/2 a cup of brown sugar
• 1/2 a cup of desiccated coconut
• 1 courgette grated
• 1 carrot grated
• Handful of chopped pecans
• 1 tbs of cacao or cocoa powder
• 1/2 a cup of ground almonds
For the frosting
• 50g of Philadelphia or cream cheese
• 1 tbs of dark chocolate sea salt almond butter- can replace with 1 tbs of cocoa powder
• A drizzle of maple syrup
• Handful of chopped pistachio to garnish
1 Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4.
2 Squeeze the excess water of the grated courgettes and add to a large bowl along with the carrots. Add the oil, almond milk, brown sugar and ground almonds and combine.
3 Add the flour mixed with baking powder and bicarbonate soda and the cacao powder and mix the batter.
4 Add the pecans and coconut and fold into the batter.
5 Pour the cake batter into a greased loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes.
6 Allow the cake to cool, for the frosting simply beat or whip the ingredients together and spread over the loaf and sprinkle some chopped pistachios.
7 This cake is crusty on the outside and moist on the inside, serve with some yoghurt and berries-makes a great pudding.