• 1 cup self raising flour
• 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 3 medium sized ripe bananas
• 1/2 cup of wholemeal flour
• 1 large carrot grated
• 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup dairy free or non dairy milk – I used almond milk
• 1/4 tsp chai spice
• 1/4 tsp fennel and clove spice or mixed spice
• 1/3rd cup of chopped mixed walnuts and dates
• 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 slab of any dark chocolate
• 2 tbs coconut milk
• 1 tbs maple syrup
1 Pre heat the oven 180 degrees Celsius, gas mark 4.
2 Line a loaf tin with grease proof paper.
3 In a large bowl add the flours, chai spice, baking powder and bicarbonate soda and mix.
4 In another bowl mash the bananas and carrots, add the oil, milk and vinegar and combine.
5 Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Add in the chopped dates and walnuts and mix.
6 Pour the cake batter into the loaf tin and bake for 35 minutes until golden. Insert a skewer to check if cake is cooked. If it comes out clean the cake is ready.
7 To make the frosting melt the dark chocolate, add the coconut milk and syrup and spread over the cake. This cake is great served with custard or yoghurt.