Vegan / Serves 4-6
• 1.5 cups of dried red lentils – can use tinned lentils
• 2 cups of water
• 1 tsp of coconut powder mixed with 1/2 cup of water – alternatively add 1/4 cup of coconut milk for a creamy texture or can leave as plain
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp madras curry powder
• 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1/2 a red onion chopped
• 4 cloves of sliced garlic
• 1 tbs of curry leaves – optional
• 1/4 tsp of fennel seeds – optional
• 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds – optional
1 Wash and drain the lentils until the starchy water becomes clear.
2 Add the lentils to a pan along with 2 cups of water, boil and simmer. The lentils will soften and become yellow in colour.
3 Add the coconut milk, turmeric, garam masala and curry powder and season with a little salt and mix. Dhal can thicken quickly, if you prefer a thinner consistency add some water.
4 In a small frying pan, add a little oil and saute the onions, garlic, fennel and cumin seeds and curry leaves.
5 Add the onion mixture into the dhal and stir.
6 Serve dhal with rice or naan or even add some vegetables and have it like a soup.